Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Johannesburg

well, first off internet access is not as easy and cheep as the US or even South America. there is no such thing as free wi fi internet and if it does exist, its really hard to find. the cost is ridiculous. for example, it cost me $12 us dollars for 2 hours of wi fi service.
well enough about the little things.
Jo'burg is a sprawled city, mostly of suburbs. There are plenty of malls to go around. not a lot of vegetation. to my surprise they drive on the wrong side of the road! so when my couch surfing host took me around i had a lot of anxiety thinking he kept turning into on coming traffic.
My host is a funny character. His name is Leon and he is a 50 something land developer. His house is amazing. It is what you would find in Granite Bay, Cal. Of course i will post pictures!
I have arrived at the end of their "winter" and it is cloudy and no sun is out. in fact, it just might rain today. I am hoping it will get warmer as i get closer to the coast, mostly because i did not pack a jacket!
So, what do i plan to do while i am here?I plan to visit as much history as possible. The Johannesburg area is home to some 2.5 million year old hominids and for all you anthro geeks out there, I plan to visit Sterkfontein Cave!
I want to go check out the Nelson Mandela bridge. there are other things to do outside of the city but I plan to do a majority of "Africa" things when I get to Port Saint Johns.
I should be leaving Jo'burg on Sat by bus to Durban, where i will be in the same city as Gandhi when he began his fight for civil rights.
I tried to upload photos but, i guess the signal is not as strong as the cost!

No comments:

Post a Comment